Submission Type: Protest and Redress request

1. Your registered Boat Name: Jammin

2. Race Day: 4

3, Group (colour): Red

4. Race (number): 2

5. Time (in Replay): 16:17.24

6. Rule(s) applicable: 18.2c, 2

7. Boat(s) involved: Northstar and Slyfox

8. Description: Approaching the port leeward gate mark, Q23 tacks to starboard going upwind and distracts me from my drop. My late drop forces me wide at the mark to not broach but i enter zone before I luff. I was clear ahead by several boat lengths of Northstar as I enter the zone. Northstar with Slyfox close behind, is the next boat to round that mark. Note we are all well ahead of Perry who finishes the race 2nd.

As I come up to round the mark in a sea-manlike manner, Northstar for some unknown reason decides to sail straight at me and crashes @16:17.24 forcing me backwards at great speed. Northstar had no room at the mark and got a correct 18.2c from nadeo which he takes a 360 for. Meanwhile Slyfox has to sail a very long way around my stern and losses allot of boat lengths to other boats around.

It takes me approx 35 seconds (16:17.24 to 16:52.24 on replay) to get back to a similar position when we collided. El Moro the eventual winner of Race 2 is rounding the opposite mark to me only very slightly ahead in 5th, I was 5th/6th pre collision. Post Collision I ended up 12th at one point.

So I am asking Redress for both myself and Slyfox who was also badly affected by Northstars potential rule 2 infringement.

Fast forward to the end of the race after many broaches and pens of other boats. Please take note of Elmoro 1st, Perry 2nd, Slyfox 4th and Jammin 6th. We all sail a clean race post collision and I finish 31s behind El Moro. Gaining approx 4s on El Moro after I get back up to speed @ 16:52.24 on replay. As myself and Slyfox where clear ahead of Perry and not far behind El Moro, before the incident, maybe Jammin 2nd and Slyfox 3rd would be appropriate redress?

Thanks for your time and efforts.

9. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest): Y

10. Replay attached (recommended): Y
Attachments
You're Breaking My Heart - MLS(03'01''40).Replay.Gbx
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 215 times
Jammin vs North Star.jpg
Jammin vs North Star.jpg (184.92 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
euphoria

Re: Season 13, Race Day 4, Group Red, Race 2, Protest and Redress Request

Post by euphoria »

Facts:
Jammin Dovetails enters the zone clear ahead of Northstar and takes a wide turn to drop his spinnaker.
When Jammin luffs to round the mark, it is still possible for Northstar to pass astern by luffing slightly.
Northstar instead rounds the mark and hits Jammins bow so that he start moving backwards.
Slyfox was also forced to sail far below the mark in order to avoid Jammin.
Elmoro was at the mark in 5th place, 6 seconds ahead of Jammin and Northstar in 6/7th place.
Slyfox in 8th, 4 seconds behind Jammin.
Perry in 9th, 7 seconds behind Jammin.
Elmoro finished 1st, ahead of Perry in 2nd.
The leading 4 boats at the gate mark either broached, crashed or got penalties, which made them drop on the scoreboard.

Conclusion:
Northstar did not keep clear and did not give room to Jammin, and broke RRS Rule 18.2.b/c.
Northstar did also break RRS Rule 2 because he should have known he could not go in where he did.
Northstar to be scored DNE in the race.
Jammin had a normal race for the rest of his race. Jammin could possibly have overtaken Elmoro and could possibly have lost to Sly and Perry. Jammin to be given 2.5 points redress, which is the average of the results he realistically would have scored (1-4) had he sailed normally for the rest of the race (i.e. no penalties and no broaches).
Slyfox had a normal race for the rest of his race. Slyfox could possibly have overtaken Jammin and could possibly have lost to Perry and Fiducit. Sly to be given 3.5 points redress, which is the average of the results he realistically would have scored (2-5) had he sailed normally for the rest of the race (i.e. no penalties and no broaches).

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 4”