AC75

Q23 SUI 007

AC75

Post by Q23 SUI 007 »

As most people already know, there is a new boat (AC75) in the Virtual Skipper. Should we sail this instead of the RC44 in a possible next MLS Season? I would be happy to do so!

Cheers Philipp
euphoria

Re: AC75

Post by euphoria »

Hi Philipp

I really like the AC75, but I'm not sure if it's a suitable boat for MLS. First of all because it's high speed racing, and high speed racing should have special rules. These rules are available from real water racing, but it probably is too much to expect 100 MLS sailors to adapt to a new rules set, in between the standard rules. And if we use the standard rules, we may have many situations that are hard to handle both for the sailors and the protest committee.

Personally I would have liked to see this boat instead of RC44 or TP52, but I'm not sure if it's best overall.

Harald
Goffe

Post by Goffe »

Hi Philipp,

MLS RC have decided to keep RC44 and TP52. (At least for Season 13).
We can understand the thrill of racing these superfast machines,
Through the years we have tested some "new" fast boat types. We found that they are not suitable for MLS racing. There were a lot of incidents and collisions. It is hard for the skippers to handle these boats in the high speed, and the roundings were really tricky. We believe this old game simply wasn't made for fleet race regattas with these fast vehicles. We also experienced some lag issues and the Nadeo umpire had (timr/lag?) problems handling situations where many boats were involved. We also think it would be very tough for the PC to handle all possible incidents that most likely will occur.

Goffe
for
MLS Race Committee
Q23 SUI 007

Post by Q23 SUI 007 »

Dear Goffe and Harald

I can understand your arguments and of course it can get tight at buoys and situations can arise which are difficult for the PC to decide. I personally think that this could be alleviated somewhat if the courses had an upwind start and also a normal finish as well as gates upwind and downwind. Also, the courses should be long enough to increase the spacing of the boats before the roundings. I would very much welcome a test event (pre-regatta) with these boats to see how it really is. If I can help with this in any way, I would be happy to do so.

I also believe that the future of sailing is more and more on foils. Maybe also because I already sail a flying monohull (Q23) myself.

Cheers Philipp
Q23 SUI 007

Post by Q23 SUI 007 »

Unfortunately, the choice of boats for the MLS is quite frustrating for me. As in real life, we who sail foil boats always encounter prejudices (too fast, too dangerous, not suitable for fleet racing, it needs different rules, etc.). I have now sailed quite a few virtual races with the AC75 and it was practically always very civilised. "Lag" can be a problem, but we also have that when racing with the RC44 and TP52 because those boats are hardly sailed either. Practically all training regattas, which are now taking place again, are sailed on the old ACC.
It takes different skills on flying boats than when sailing conventional boats. The angles are different and yes, the speed is higher and therefore you have to react faster. And these are exactly the skills I want to train.
I had suggested that the RC44 should be replaced by the AC75. That would have been two races out of a total of 12. Unfortunately, the RC decided that they would rather continue with the conventional boats. I find this decision uninspiring and I had hoped that other sailors would also stand up for the AC75.
Only because I don't want to leave our team in the lurch did I, with a heavy heart, once again decide to sign up for the MLS, although I don't actually want to sail with these oldfashioned boats any more. I am convinced that a great opportunity was missed here.

Please excuse my open words. I didn't mean to attack anyone.

Philipp

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Wetstuff

Post by Wetstuff »

I have to agree with Philipp to an extent, this game has been the best racing simulation game since 2000.
Personally I am checking Steam every now and then in the hope that some developer has decided to release another regatta simulator.

I think we need to make an effort to bring the game as close as possible to new sailing realities or bring at least this element of foiling / high speed racing in the game, which by the way does not necessarily have to be in the MLS structure.
Yes modding a game that was made with different parameters is not ideal and it could get complicated, but we could give it a try. The AC32 kind of regatta racing has gotten boring for me as well, therefore taking long monthly breaks from the game, but OK that is personal.

I am willing to assist in any way I can to try and bring some high speed racing, first I will install the model and do some testing as I have no idea yet what it looks like in VSK terms :)

Alx
Q23 SUI 007

Post by Q23 SUI 007 »

I would like to come back to the selection of the boats, after I saw in the calendar of the MLS season 14 that again the old pots will be used.

Why doesn't the committee ask the teams involved what type of boats they prefer? I am convinced that very few will be in favour of RC44 and TP52. The introduction of the AC75 would be a quantum leap and for two out of a total of 15 races it should be feasible, I think.

I know that the AC75 has no lobby, but I think it is because very many have never even tried this boat. A test event with AC75 could also clarify how this type of boat would be suitable for the MLS.

However, if the decision regarding the type of boat has already been made, I don't know whether I will take part in this event again.

Cheers Philipp
Fiducit III

Post by Fiducit III »

I totally agree with Philipp. The RC 44 was designed for teamracing events an not for fleetracing. Personally I like the TP52!

Greets

Dierk
Jammy Dodger

Post by Jammy Dodger »

I am up for trialling the AC75 perhaps in the off week individual tournament ;)

Jammin

Return to “General, Views & Ideas”