Submission Type:

1. Your registered Boat Name: Ronja

2. Race Day: 1

3. Group: Green

4. Race : 3

5. Time (in Replay): 10:57.5

6. Rule(s) applicable: 2

7. Skipper(s) involved: Balder and Tempest

8. Description: Balder ducks his teammate while in the zone of the race's first weather mark. This is a clear team racing maneuver and is fundamentally prohibited.

9. Print Screen attached: (required for a valid PROTEST) Y

10. Replay attached: (optional) Y
Attachments
Rona v Balder Day 1 Green Race 3.Replay.Gbx
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 412 times
Vsk5 2019-10-08 13-37-43-60.jpg
Vsk5 2019-10-08 13-37-43-60.jpg (198.85 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
Balder

Re: Season 10, Day 1, Green Server. Race 3 Ronja vs Balder

Post by Balder »

1. This protest can only be evaluated for rule 2, as the hail for protest was made minutes after the incident. For other rules, the hail was too late, so we will not focus the defence on the regular rules.
    What happened at the top mark is not a team racing maneuver. It’s a fleet racing maneuver. On the other hand, what happened in race 1 between Kenny and 7empest really is a team racing maneuver, when Kenny luffed 7empest hard in order to create a passing lane for his team mate Ronja, who were right behind them.
  2. It’s very surprising to see such an accusation, in particular because my team approached the top mark in position 1 and 2, and I decided to sail conservatively without risking penalties, just to safely round in position 1 and 3.
  3. If you see this situation from a regular fleet race perspective, then I’m in a position behind 7empest, and it’s likely that he will be able to cross ahead if he tacks at the mark, especially since he would round and lift his stern. Just behind me is JohnPap, and it’s unlikely that I will be able to tack in front of him without getting a penalty for breaking rule 10/13. I therefore have three options:
    1. Push as hard as possible on 7empest and maybe prevent him from tacking. Still I would have been prevented from tacking by JohnPap, so we would all 3 have tacked around the mark at the same time, putting me in the middle of a sandwich on the way to the reach mark. When you are in the middle of a sandwich, you usually end up 3rd…
    2. Do what actually happened: Make sure 7emptest round first, while JohnPap and I tack at the same time. I then end up on the tail of 7empest with free wind and to windward of JohnPap. Also going downwind from the next mark, it’s a big advantage to go left, so staying on the outside is crucial. It paid off well eventually, I got 2nd at the bottom mark.
    3. Slow down after reaching the zone ahead of JohnPap, to get him inside or outside overlapped. I would then have a safe tack around the mark and round in 2nd position. This would probably be the best option from a fleet perspective, but could be looked as a sole team racing move.
  4. In regular fleet racing, I could not know what 7empest would be doing. He is clear ahead into the zone, which gives him right of way and right to mark room. For what I know, he can luff and shoot the mark to prevent me on the inside. I start bearing away while I still am keep clear boat, one second before 7empest reaches head to wind. If I stopped turning from the moment 7empest passed HTW, there is no way I could have hit him. See my replay as the correct reference.
  5. Generally speaking, it’s not a violation of rule 2 to let another boat pass ahead. It happens all the time in regular fleet racing, if you think it will be better for your overall race.
  6. This protest is based on alleged team racing, while the event actually is a team event... There is no information regarding this topic in the event rules, even though the protesting boat claims it’s “fundamentally prohibited”. The fact that these words comes from a member of the protest committee is disappointing. It would be nice for the event if there were some guidelines of what is acceptable and what is not. Example: Obviously the protesting boat (Ronja) was not able to see the details of the situation at the top mark, while his team mate (Kenny?) who was not racing, saw the incident as spectator. Ronja must have received information about this from his team mate, and thus have received outside assistance, which is a violation of rule 41. I’m not suggesting that this should be prohibited in this event, but it illustrates that there are alot of grey zones with the mix of a team format and fleet rules.
Bottom line: In marginal situations between boats, you can never apply rule 2. It can only be a question of bad judgement and possibly a violation of the rules of Part 2 of the rules book. This situation was a marginal one, no port barging, and only risk management from my side. There is no valid protest for rule 10 or rule 13, even though those rules were not broken (see point 4).

The title of this post states that Balder is the boat that is protested. On the water, both Balder and 7empest were protested. Since neither a protest was filed on 7empest or a withdrawal post has been made within the limit, 1 point should be given for that protest hail.

PS! I hope to see a more friendly attitude in the coming rounds. This was not a nice welcome to a new team with first time participants in MLS.

Balder, on behalf of NOR Team.
Legsy

Re: Season 10, Day 1, Green Server. Race 3 Ronja vs Balder

Post by Legsy »

Facts:

7empest is in front of Balder
-Balder is in front of JohnPap

7empest tacks to turn around the mark
Balder has more speed, and must bear away to avoid 7empest
Balder loose his position 2, because of JohnPap

Decision:

Protest DISMISSED -> Queen Ronja +1pts