MLS Season9, Race Day 4, Blue Group, Race #1, E,P.

Moderators: Protest Committee, Race Committee

Jammy Dodger

MLS Season9, Race Day 4, Blue Group, Race #1, E,P.

Post by Jammy Dodger »

Submission Type: E, P.

1. Your registered Boat Name: Jammin Dovetails

2. Race Day: 4

3. Group: Blue

4. Race : 1

5. Time (in Replay): 9:01:00

6. Rule(s) applicable: 13, 20.2c

7. Skipper(s) involved: FiducitIII vskfunsters, Q23 vskfunsters, Piotr Pol-Vsc.

8. Description: Approaching a couple of starboard boats on port are Jammin to leeward and Fiducit to windward, fiducit having just tacked to port, overlapped. I ask in good time for 'rtt' to which fiducit responds 'y'. Jammin just scrapes past Q23's bow and is very close to Piotr after completion of risky tack. Upon completion of my tack there is contact between me and fiducit on my screen which drops my speed. I get a pen 13 too, but as I believe fiducit did not provide adequate room to tack as he left it so late, I ask for cancel and protest fiducit. It should be noted that jammins tack was negatively affected (slower than normal and not able to reach an open close haul after tack as normal) by fiducits late response, jammin looking to minimise any effect of any contact and maintain 44.1 whenever possible.

See Jammins request to Ryhoo for 'RTT' moments later at 10:30.00 replay time for a proper response. Ryhoo responds with 'YT' and leaves Jammin plenty of room to complete a tack. Ryhoo had even less time to respond to the RTT hail.

9. Print Screen attached: Y (required for a valid PROTEST)

10. Replay attached: Used Hosts (optional)
Attachments
Vsk5 2019-04-09 20-15-50-876.jpg
Vsk5 2019-04-09 20-15-50-876.jpg (483.03 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
FIDUCIT_III

Re: MLS Season9, Race Day 4, Blue Group, Race #1, E,P.

Post by FIDUCIT_III »

Dear PC, dear Ben. I respond your rtt immediatly with a "y" 5 sec after your rtt in chat. I needed the seconds to open chat, type a yes and cloae chat for further steering.Than i tacked when you started to tack. There is no rule, that i have to tack faster than normal. So i tacked as usual. After i got close hauld jammin hit me during or even after finishing his tack. So its a 13 or after finishing tack a 15 for him. Maybe the time calling rtt until we have to tack was a little to short. I am not able and used to think about what will come and what will opponents maybe do. In my opinion i did all right in that situation and i think jammin was to short in time hailing room to tack. Cheers Dierk
Jammy Dodger

Post by Jammy Dodger »

Dear Dierk,

R.r.s. 20.2c as stated in the protest requires the following after a hail of rtt is called:

A boat shall respond either by tacking AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, or by IMMEDIATELY replying 'You tack' (an abbreviation of 'yt' being accepted in vsk5). And then giving the hailing boat room to tack and avoid her.

In my humble opinion you did neither.

By admitting there was contact on your screen proves that you did not give me room to tack!?

It might be worthwhile for you to reconsider your current gameplay and start preparing and being very aware of being a port boat overlapped with another, if you are both approaching starboard boats. Be ready to type rtt or yt immediately after being hailed. This will help prevent unnecessary collisions.

Since we where the only 2 boats overlapped on port and considering you had just tacked to port after I ducked your stern. As stated, I believe you had good time to react after my hail.

Maybe I'm helping, maybe I'm not, we can only say what we see and take the PC judgement.

Good winds.
Spirillen

Post by Spirillen »

Fiducit in his reply, himself writes that he had atleast 5 second, from RTT call, until he responded (by "YT")
That is not reacting promptly, and he therefore breaks RRS 20.

Decision:
Jammin pen cancel accepted, no further action.
Fiducit DSQ for breaking RRS 13 and RRS 20.

PC for MLS

Return to “Race Day 4”