Post by Wetstuff »

Submission Type:

1. Your registered boat name: Alx

2. Group: Red

3. Race (number): 1

4. Time of incident (in replay): around 09:20

5. Rule(s) applicable: 20.1.iii

6. Boat(s) involved: Zee POL

7. Description: Zee POL coming from port hailr RTT to her windward boat even though Alx is coming from starboard fetching the mark

8. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest): attached

9. Replay attached (recommended): host replay
Attachments
ScreenShot29.bmp
ScreenShot29.bmp (7.91 MiB) Viewed 682 times
BogDan

Re: MLS16 D3 Server Red - Protest Alx Zee POL

Post by BogDan »

Description: I did not demand RTT from Yacht Alex and I did not make any mistake with this yacht. After turning back, I found myself in front of Alex and maybe that's why it bothered him.
Wetstuff

Post by Wetstuff »

BogDan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:40 pm Description: I did not demand RTT from Yacht Alex and I did not make any mistake with this yacht. After turning back, I found myself in front of Alex and maybe that's why it bothered him.
Friend I am not bothered at all by boats passing me :)
The issue is Zee POL forced another boat to tack by asking for RTT when Zee POL to my opinion was not entitled to, and if I'm not mistaken the boat that had to make the tack because of RTT was not able to fetch the mark, now imagine if Zee POL was ducking and so the other boat was also able to continue and duck, her position could have been way better rounding the mark.
P.S. I did not make the rules :shock:
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Wetstuff wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:50 am The issue is Zee POL forced another boat to tack by asking for RTT when Zee POL to my opinion was not entitled to, and if I'm not mistaken the boat that had to make the tack because of RTT was not able to fetch the mark
That is exactly the point, Alex. This rule was added as a test some seasons ago. The reason is that rule 20 is a safety rule on real water, not a tactical rule. On vsk it is used as a tactical rule, while we don't really have any safety issues on vsk. Unlike real water, on vsk this rule was causing a lot of problems at the mark roundings. Boats being forced to tack under the layline because of bad judgement of other boats also tacking under the layline. This creates situations where boats are stopping completely at the top mark, because they are forced to luff HTW.

The rule change was my proposal. After the test season, I asked the RC if they wanted to keep that rule or go back to the original. They decided to stay with the modified rule, because it was found that it resulted in less chaos at the marks. And no teams had requested to go back to the original rule, as far as I'm concerned.

Harald
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Facts:

Alex on starboard layline, fethcing the mark.
Thor and Zee on port, with Thor to windward.
Zee hails for RTT. Thor tacks and Zee tacks.
Zee fetches the mark. Thor does not fetch the mark.

Conclusion:
Zee broke MLS rule 2.7.

Decision:
Zee is disqualified in the race.

The protest committee

Return to “Race Day 3”