fasttits

season 16, Day 4, red group, race 3 , cancel explanation

Post by fasttits »

Submission Type: E

1. Your registered boat name: fasttits

2. Group: red

3. Race (number): 3

4. Time of incident (in replay): prestart 1:52

5. Rule(s) applicable: Nadeo gave 16 to fasttits, Fasttits believes Geronimo SAT broke rule 11

6. Boat(s) involved: fasTTits vs Geronimo

7. Description: pre start Geronimo was early and luffing for some time ( not wanting to be over at start)
Fasttits approached from behind and to leeward and acquried overlap at 1:44 sailing a higher angle than Geronimo. Geronimo made NO attempts to keep clear for 4 seconds as fasttits held course. for the next 2 seconds Geronimo slowly headed up but the gap got smaller. at 51 fasttits headed down to avoid contact and Geronimo headed up quickly at the same time which created contact. The 16 was given as fasttits headed down, not as fasttits headed up. appears a clear break of rule 11 and I asked for cancel.

Long and short I was going a common start procedure, Geronimo did not head up as far as I would like in time while I was granted room by 11, when I finally had to head down to avoid contact I received a 16

8. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):

9. Replay attached (recommended):
Attachments
race 3 start pen cancel11-22.Replay.Gbx
(2.91 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
euphoria

Re: season 16, Day 4, red group, race 3 , cancel explanation

Post by euphoria »

Facts:

Fasttits establish overlap from clear astern on Geronimo.
Geronimo reacts late by luffing, while Fasttits holds her course.
Fasttits bears away, and there is immediate contact.

Conclusion and decision:
Fasttits gave Geronimo room to keep clear under rule 15.
Geronimo did not keep clear and broke rule 11.
Geronimo is disqualified (DSQ) in the race.

The protest committee
LuisRomAbar SAT

Post by LuisRomAbar SAT »

What about rule 14?! "A boat shall avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible.
However, a right-of-way boat, or one sailing within the room or markroom to which she is entitled, need not act to avoid contact until it is
clear that the other boat is not keeping clear or giving room or markroom." Fasttits avoided contact with Geronimo too late and hit him.
GERONIMO

Post by GERONIMO »

The video shows that I have a low speed, and I immediately began to give way, the road was only Fastits began to lead to me, and he touched me, the code began to leave, so I had no room to keep clear of him, clean 16.1. I emphasize that he touched when he himself began to bear away.
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

LuisRomAbar SAT wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:18 am What about rule 14?! "A boat shall avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible.
However, a right-of-way boat, or one sailing within the room or markroom to which she is entitled, need not act to avoid contact until it is
clear that the other boat is not keeping clear or giving room or markroom." Fasttits avoided contact with Geronimo too late and hit him.
See MLS Rule 2.11:
"A boat cannot be penalized under rule 14 if she has right of way or is entitled to room when contact occurs."
GERONIMO wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:34 pm The video shows that I have a low speed, and I immediately began to give way
The replay showed that luff started luffing a little 3.5 seconds after the overlap was established.
And you luffed more after 5.5 seconds.

That very far from an immediate reaction. By responding normally, you would have had no problem to keep clear.

Harald
GERONIMO

Post by GERONIMO »

Let's be objective, Fastits touched me when he realized that he could go beyond the starting line and he began to bear away, my boat did not have speed, so he avoided him so slowly. in the end, at the start, I did not prevent Fastits from starting, having a worse position at the start and low speed. This moment did not affect the result of my either Fastits. Besides, he didn't file a protest against me.
GERONIMO

Post by GERONIMO »

I admit that I avoided him badly, but the touch happened when he was walking away from me and not brought to me.
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

GERONIMO wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:37 pm Let's be objective, Fastits touched me when he realized that he could go beyond the starting line and he began to bear away, my boat did not have speed, so he avoided him so slowly. in the end, at the start, I did not prevent Fastits from starting, having a worse position at the start and low speed. This moment did not affect the result of my either Fastits.
Even if you are right, these things are not relevant for the protest committee. We have to find out what boat to DSQ, which has to be done when there has been contact. The only thing that can avoid a DSQ in a situation with contact is if there was extra ordinary lag in the situation.
Besides, he didn't file a protest against me.
When he cancels a 16.1 penalty, it's automatically a protest against the other boats involved in the situation.
GERONIMO wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:43 pm I admit that I avoided him badly, but the touch happened when he was walking away from me and not brought to me.
When a boat changes course (fasttits bearing away) and there is immediate contact, then the boat to windward was not keeping clear. See part (b) of the definition of keeping clear.

Harald

Return to “Race Day 4”