Ideas for improving MLS

Wetstuff

Ideas for improving MLS

Post by Wetstuff »

Hi RC, PC and the rest :)

So a few ideas to consider over the long summer break and in hope we have a continuation of MLS for season 14 and thereon

1. Maps
Some of you know already (for a few years now) that I have suggested to use random maps for each MLS day. The way the format has always been (also previously in Blues League) to provide all maps way before race days so that everyone could train & examine them in great detail. This was always benefiting to an extend players (not excluding ones from my club) that had the opportunity to train as much as they could, while others that for whatever reason were not able to train as much to try to figure out the way to go and asking teammates etc. on any perks or secrets of the maps before racing.
I would suggest creating a pool of 50-60 maps (from creators such as ISAF, Goffe, Ed3V, etc.) keeping intros and all but changing their names, so that anyone looking at an open server would not be able t identify the map but the name itself. The randomness of the map selection (RC could have a draw 10' before races and announce map numbers to individual hosts) would provided perhaps a more even playing field to all competitors and perhaps bring in some more interest. This would also provide a more realistic perspective to the races where you have some basic wind & current info but have to figure out which way to go.

2. RC & PC
I would suggest a 5 members RC panel & 5 members PC panel. RC members should be able to try & identify ways to improve the event, and vote on any new suggestion brought to the committee by any of these members.

3. New boats
Since we will have the AC75 irl for the following 8 years (at least 2 AC cycles) we should examine ways to incorporate this in the event (initially as a trial, or as a side event every other Tuesday), perhaps in cooperation with KDTeam if the boat model needs to be refined, etc
You see having random map selection brings more free VSK time to other options.

if more :idea: then will post :lol:
euphoria

Re: Ideas for improving MLS

Post by euphoria »

Hi Alex,

Great to have proposals for making MLS better. I'm not part of the RC, but I hope you don't mind that I add my comments here too as a sailor, to have a discussion.

1. I agree that there is an advantage to know the course before racing. But isn't that a part of being a good VSK sailor? In my opinion, it doesn't take much training to learn the course. Most important is to take a look in the editor, which doesn't take many minutes, and in most cases is enough to figure out the basics.
- I'm not sure if making course selection random would solve that problem. Maybe it has the other effect, as the teams who are big and strong enough, can have a dedicated person to study the selected courses when they are announced, giving even a bigger relative advantage over the teams that are not able to take this approach.
- Having a big pool of courses also makes it less transparent, because there is a draw, and nobody knows if there actually was a draw or if it was a selection. And by having a pool of courses, there will be a few people in the RC who actually knows these courses and can study all of them in advance. Again giving participants the possibility to suspect the RC of not being fair.
- An alternative is to only use courses that would give similar win probabilities both on left and right side (typically no hard coded wind shifts and uniform current). Some other events use that approach, but different events should be different... I don't like such courses, they don't give enough dynamic in the races.

3. I agree that it would be a good idea to have AC75 in the next edition of MLS.

Harald
Albervita

Post by Albervita »

Hereafter my comments

1. Maps
The suggestion of Alex in order to reduce advantages of some team is attractive but I think that the number of races necessary to put all teams in the same condition would be very high thus requiring (even using existing maps) a great job to modify intro's , sound, etc...
Instead, considering a typical event of 12 races, I would see a set of 18/24 maps, published in advance as today but complete with editor pictures describing location, wind and current strenght and direction. This would help a lot of skippers including a lazy guy as me.
Then the evening race could be extracted randomly 10' from start each evening.

2. RC & PC
I would agree on a 5 members RC panel that would be able to discuss ways to improve the event and vote any new suggestion brought to the RC by any of these members or by third skippers.
As for the PC panel I think that 3 is the proper number. Certainly 5 would be better (provided that they are made available from 5 different teams) but this would result in a slower decision time.

3. New boats
It would be a good idea to have AC75 in the next edition of MLS.
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

2. For the protest committee, we are lucky to have high level real water judges/umpires in the panel. Adding more members would require also them to be on a good level, otherwise a lot of time is be spent on explaining the rules internally rather than solving the cases. Being a member of the PC is a time consuming commitment even without much discussions...

Harald
Fiducit III

Post by Fiducit III »

Hi guys,
my improvement for MLS is to create maps without any obstacles in the racecourse. No one needs an island in the racecourse or island as a boundary.
If anyone watches races TP52 super series or any other race event ...there is no obstacle only a startboat, and buoys.

Cheers

Dierk
Jammy Dodger

Post by Jammy Dodger »

Bring Back Outspan Bro!! :D
Jammy Dodger

Post by Jammy Dodger »

On Alexs Ideas:

1) Good idea and not too difficult to arrange as the maps are there already in Goffes map bank. The only advantage I can see would come to the long serving skippers who have a good memory for the courses. Or a skipper who has properly geeked out and made a record of every map they have raced. I am sure there is at least 1 skipper out there!
Re your reply Harald. There are random generator programs as i am sure you are aware to remove any doubt. If people are that petty to believe the RC of a highly respected event is fiddling the selection, well theres not much point in organising/participating in anything. I am optimistic of the current RC and the section of the VSK community that sails MLS to not make that an issue Harald. Again of course there might be 1 or 2 moaners as usual. If so get them on the RC for a season.

2) 5 is a good number for both committees. Giving as Alber points out, at least 3 fully active members with 2 backups who can fill in or add when needed.
Alongside the experienced stalwarts such as Goffe RC and Harald PC, I have long thought it would be good, despite the obvious extra work with integration etc, to invite every team in a season to propose 1 suitable (language/rules knowledge/common sense/creativity) member to the RC and/or PC. Would keep the event fresh.

3) Bring on the AC75 RC! Power vsk by nature, get those solar panels cranking. I want to see and experience some chaos with foil failure, huge slam downs and seriously high speed barging like Phil Robertson. Without the need for an expensive carbon repair shore team lol...
Batboat

Post by Batboat »

Overall - I am looking forward to another season - and please say if there is anything we can do to help......
I have the following comments:

1. Don't make fleets too small (I enjoy fleets with at least 18 players)? (if possible) - and not below 15 in each fleet.
2. IMPORTANT: I think you should mix teams from the start - so everybody meets everybody - it seems that the consequence of your race planning has the consequence that teams who win in the beginning also meets relative more teams who don't sail well in the beginning.
3. New boats are always welcome - but not a must in any way

Cheers BatBoat / Nikolaj

Return to “General, Views & Ideas”