MLS S9 Day 4, Red, Race 2, P

Moderators: Protest Committee, Race Committee

Wetstuff

MLS S9 Day 4, Red, Race 2, P

Post by Wetstuff »

I thought of withdrawn my protest since Jepsom goes DNF but not sure I can do that...

Submission Type:

1. Your registered Boat Name: Wetstuff

2. Race Day: 4

3. Group: Red

4. Race : 2

5. Time (in Replay): 30:23

6. Rule(s) applicable: 11

7. Skipper(s) involved: Jepsom

8. Description: Going downwind, Wetstuff leeward & Jepsom winward toward the finish line and before reaching the zone , Jepsom breaks rrs11

9. Print Screen attached: (required for a valid PROTEST) attached

10. Replay attached: (optional) attached
Attachments
Hear the Wind Howl(03'00''91).Replay.Gbx
(5.2 MiB) Downloaded 399 times
ScreenShot33.png
ScreenShot33.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4765 times
Spirillen

Re: MLS S9 Day 4, Red, Race 2, P

Post by Spirillen »

Looking at replay, Jepsom had overtaken Wetstuff to windward. Jepsom breaks the overlap, and later Wetstuff establishes an overlap again, to leeward with in 2 boat lenghts, so Wetstuff is uner RRS 17. At the replay it doesn't seems, that Wetstuff is sailing higher than prober course, so Wtstuff do not break RRS 17.
As the boat boats gets closer to the finish line, Jepsom bears of a little, and gets closer to Wetstuff, and in the end Jepsom makes contact with Wetstuff, meaning Jepsom breaks RRS 11. This happens outside the zone, and before Wetstuff have to gybe, in order not to break RRS 17. Wetstuff can't sail past his layline for the mark, without breaking RRS 17.
Wetstuff then gybes, outside the zone, and sails to the finish line. Wetstuff gybes so there is still room, between the mark and Wetstuff for Jepsom to pass. Jepsom is a bit slow to gybe, and as a result of that, broughes and hit the mark.

Decision:
Wetstuff protest upheld, Jepsom DSQ for breaking RRS 11.

Note: When talking of prober course under RRS 17, it is not the windward boat's prober course that counts, it is the leeward boat's prober course that counts. So even if Jepsom is forced past his layline, Wetstuff do not break RRS 17, since Wetstuff do not sail past his layline (higher than prober course).

PC for MLS

Return to “Race Day 4”